CompTIA Security+ Certification
CompTIA Security+ is a global certification that validates the baseline skills you need to perform core security functions and pursue an IT security career.
CompTIA Security+ is the first security certification IT professionals should earn. It establishes the core knowledge required of any cybersecurity role and provides a springboard to intermediate-level cybersecurity jobs. Successful candidates will have the following skills:
- Detect various types of compromise and understand penetration testing and vulnerability scanning concepts
- Install, configure, and deploy network components while assessing and troubleshooting issues to support organizational security
- Implement secure network architecture concepts and systems design
- Install and configure identity and access services, as well as management controls
- Implement and summarize risk management best practices and the business impact
- Install and configure wireless security settings and implement public key infrastructure
The CompTIA Security+ exam focuses on today’s best practices for risk management and risk mitigation, including more emphasis on the practical and hands-on ability to both identify and address security threats, attacks and vulnerabilities.
CompTIA Security+ Exam Domains
The CompTIA Security+ exam includes the following domains and topics:
- Threats, attacks and vulnerabilities: Analyze indicators of compromise and determine types of malware or compare and contrast types of attacks
- Identity and Access Management: Implement identity and access management controls or differentiate common account management practices
- Technologies and Tools: Troubleshoot common security issues or deploy mobile devices securely
- Risk Management: Explain the importance of policies, plans and procedures related to organizational security
- Architecture and Design: Summarize secure application development, deployment, cloud and virtualization concepts
- Cryptography and PKI: Compare and contrast basic concepts of cryptography or implement public key infrastructure
This certification is ideal for IT security professionals who are relatively new to the field or have never taken a security certification exam before. It’s also useful if you’re looking to switch to cybersecurity from a related field. It is recommended as the first security certification you should earn, as it deals with the core skills needed for any job in cyber security and can help you to move into an intermediate-level cybersecurity position.
Earning the CompTIA Security+ certification can help you land job roles that are in high demand and command a good salary, such as security architect, security engineer, security or systems administrator, security analyst, network administrator, security consultant, and junior IT auditor. Although certification isn’t typically a requirement for these positions, it can provide a career advantage.